2024 Grant Cycle Application Process
- Grant cycle opens February 8, 2024.
- LOIs will be accepted through end of business on March 18, 2024.
- The Foundation seeks applicants who can demonstrate innovative approaches, produce measurable patient/clinician outcomes, and disseminate findings that result in widespread use to improve patient safety across the healthcare community. See full grant eligibility and criteria.
- LOI instructions and submission form are now available.
- Submission of an LOI is in no way a guarantee of funding.
- LOI submissions will be evaluated by The Doctors Company Foundation.
- After submitting an LOI, applicants may be contacted by Foundation staff and asked for clarifications and/or revisions and resubmission.
- Applicants will be notified by May 21, 2024, via email, that either:
- They are invited to submit a full proposal, or
- Their project has not been selected to move forward in the grant process
- Full proposal application forms and all accompanying documentation are due by end of business on June 28, 2024.
- An invitation to submit a full proposal is in no way a guarantee of funding.
- Full proposal applications will be evaluated by The Doctors Company Foundation.
- Applicants will be notified of The Doctors Company Foundation's Board of Directors’ funding decisions in late August 2024.
- Grants are funded once grant agreements are fully executed, generally by mid-October.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Could we arrange a phone call to discuss whether the project we have in mind fits the focus of your Foundation?
If the Grant Review Committee has questions about a Letter of Intent (LOI) or application during the review process, we will contact the applicant to discuss.
- Would you consider giving a grant to a for-profit group?
- The Doctors Company Foundation makes grants to nonprofit entities only. Your group may work in conjunction with a nonprofit organization or educational institution.
- Is there a limit to the size of the submitted proposal?
Yes, the LOI is limited to two pages.
If your organization is invited to submit a full application, you will receive an application form that requires answers to adhere to word count limits. We strongly encourage you to submit a succinct proposal and to add appendices and background materials only as necessary.
- Is there a budget cap on grants you award?
- The Doctors Company Foundation is a small foundation with limited funds. Partial awards are sometimes given. In the past five years, grant awards have ranged from $25,000 to $240,000, averaging $103,000.
- Can an organization submit more than one LOI?
- Our proposal was not selected this year; can we resubmit it next year?
- Proposals that did not advance past the LOI stage will not be reconsidered. If your organization was invited to submit a full application for a project but did not receive a grant, you may submit the project for reconsideration in the next grant cycle. However, you must submit a new LOI. Please note that questions may have been updated/modified on forms, so you cannot simply re-submit a prior form.
- Our proposal was not selected. Could we please talk to you to find out why?
- Most submitted proposals are for worthwhile projects, and each one is reviewed in detail and discussed at our Grant Review Committee meetings. The approval process is very competitive. Ultimately, only a few grants are approved each year. We do not provide specific reasons for non-approval.
For Approved Grants
- What are the requirements for the progress report and the final evaluation?
- Guidelines for reports are listed above on this page.
- We would like a no-cost extension of time for the project you funded; is this possible?
- Yes. Please send an email request and explanation for individual approval, including your requested dates for the extended grant period and final report submission.
- May we shift expenses within the budget amount you approved for our grant?
- Yes. Please send an email request and explanation for individual approval.